My Other Blogs

2006-05-26

The Da Vinci Code and Brother Brigham

You may hear the divines of the day extol the character of the Saviour, undertake to exhibit his true character before the people, and give an account of his origin, and were it not ridiculous, I would tell what I have thought about their views. Brother Kimball wants me to tell it, therefore you will excuse me if I do. I have frequently thought of mules, which you know are half horse and half ass, when reflecting upon the representations made by those divines. I have heard sectarian priests undertake to tell the character of the Son of God, and they make him half of one species and half of another, and I could not avoid thinking at once of the mule, which is the most hateful creature that ever was made, I believe. You will excuse me, but I have thus thought many a time.

-- Journal of Discourses, Vol.4, p.217, Brigham Young, February 8, 1857

I've actually thought that before as well.

So, what this has to do with the Da Vinci Code?

The idea that God is a different type of being than us mortals, leads to Jesus being a mule of sorts. And, that being the case - he would certainly be infertile. A great case for the Catholics, if not for it being so disrespectful. But with an eye on Adam being God, or at least God being a Man, no one has to be a mule - or a donkey :-) And Jesus can have children and still be as divine as we are ... wait! the traditional-Christians would think that's blasphemy as well.

No comments: