My Other Blogs

2006-11-09

Another reading update.

I've now read through Alma 13.

One comment: I must say that Abinadi's speech in Mosiah 15:1-5 is very odd, and seems to have very little or nothing to do with Mormon theology, unless the words are all redefined such that "Well, he said that but by using that phrase he really meant this." It sounds a bit like a description of modalism, though not sequential modalism. It is fascinating to me that modalism would have even been a concept at all in the B.C. years, let alone prevalent enough to have infiltrated the teachings given to believers of that time.

4 comments:

The Husband said...

Sorry, that was me, unknowingly signed-in as my wife. :)

Ashley said...

I don't really see the modalism.

Anonymous said...

Mosiah 15:1-5 separates the men from the boys in LDS theology. On the surface it sounds modalistic, but look at what the words actually say rather than what you assume they say. Richard Draper wrote an excellent essay titled, "The Mortal Ministry of the Savior as Understood by the Book of Mormon Prophets. Look at what he said regarding those verses.

Jeff said...

Thanks for the comments, fellows. This is a strange experience reading through the Book of Mormon to try to gain insight in theological matters. The more I read, the more I see that people of the Church today are extremely shortsighted on their discussion of what the scriptures really do say. Even if the modern prevalent views are correct, there has to be a vast amount of metaphysical nuance to the whole thing that generally gets ignored.
If either of you brethren would like to start up a private dialog with me, I would certainly welcome that: @ zebby.org jeff is my email address (flip those in the other order)