My Other Blogs

2006-08-10

"The truth is not uplifting; it destroys."

Michael Quinn has written about his experience with Boyd K. Packer:
Whether by design or as one of life's little jokes, Apostle Boyd K. Packer was the General Authority who interviewed me .... He lectured me for forty-five minutes, the highlights of which were these statements: "I have a hard time with historians ... because they idolize the truth. The truth is not uplifting; it destroys. Historians should tell only that part of the truth that is inspiring and uplifting."

I spoke of balance, perspective, context. He just shook his head and said, "You'll learn."

I did. And, as the saying goes, "The rest is history."

I am having a difficult time with the words that Elder Packer has allegedly spoken: "The truth is not uplifting; it destroys. Historians should tell only that part of the truth that is inspiring and uplifting." The restriction on Historians is ridiculous, if applied. That is the type of nutty idea that makes Mel Gibson's father not believe the Holocaust ever happened. The first part is perhaps true, but I would say it differently: "The truth is not entirely uplifting; it also destroys." Destroying, or disorganizing is also an attribute of God, in addition to creating or organizing. Destroying is, in fact, an important process.
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Hebrews 4:12

No comments: